Friday, April 12, 2013

Windowsill Compost

...well, not *exactly*, but along those lines!

As it's finally warming up and the below-freezing temps at night are starting to subside (and are hopefully now old news), I've been preparing some homemade and recycled nutrients to mix into my soil in my pots and planters for this seasons garden! I'd mentioned wanting to do this in this previous post, in which you can also get some more info on soil and composting.

my window sill compose
As you can see, I laid out a paper towel to let the items dry on their own. My kitchen seems dry enough that the banana peel is not molding, just shriveling up. I also washed some egg shells, which I will crush up before adding to the soil. I also have some old loose tea leaves (left) and coffee grounds drying as well. Not pictured are some other vegetable scraps left over from cooking (and I've been cooking a lot of vegetables lately!) which I will also dry and add to the soil.

I'm not going to overload the planters with these items since I'm not yet sure how much they will decompose, attract insects, or more importantly smell once they're doing their work fertilizing my growing plants! I don't think my neighbors would approve of a garbage pit next to their balcony, ha! If things go well, I may add a bit more later in the season, or next year.

Excited to see if my vegetables grow even more healthily and productive this year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...